Tärna Kyrkby is the settlement around the church of the former Tärna Parish. It is today a part of Sala Municipality in Västmanland County. Its location is, however, next to the border between the provinces of Uppland and Västmanland. The river Sagån marks the border and Tärna Kyrkby is on the side of Uppland. The area of the former parish is today Tärna District and it has a population of around 300 inhabitants. In fact, only a handful of these people live in the actual church village.
A Short History of Tärna
Tärna Parish has a history that dates back all the way to the Middle Ages. It was first mentioned in the year 1314 and it is believed that the local church was built in the 14th century. There have been many reconstructions over the centuries.
T’ärna Municipality replaced the parish in the second half of the 19th century. In 1952, the municipality was extended to include the areas of Kila, Kumla, and Norrby. However, in 1972 it became a part of Sala Municipality.
Things to Do and See
This is the Swedish countryside and a big part of life here revolves around the former religious center and the small local community. The main landmark has little competition, but there are some other things you can enjoy here.
The church dates back to the 14th century and it is the central landmark in the village. The latest major changes were done at the end of the 19th century when large parts of the church were renovated.
Not far from the church is the local “bygdegård”, a community center that usually focuses on the local history and heritage. The house was once the local school. Next to the main building there are four traditional timber buildings.
How to Get to Tärna Kyrkby
- Flights: The closest airport is Stockholm Västerås Airport (VST), 42 kilometers away, which has mostly low-cost carriers. In addition, there is Stockholm-Arlanda Airport (ARN), 92 kilometers away with both domestic and international flights.
- Car: Tärna is along road 70 between Enköping and Sala.
- Bus: Stops for local and regional UL buses are along road 70.
- Train: SJ has trains to and from nearby Enköping and connects the area with Gothenburg, Hallsberg, Stockholm, and Västerås.
The driving distance from 5 major Swedish cities, according to Google Maps:
- Stockholm – 103 kilometers (1 h 10 min)
- Gothenburg – 424 kilometers (5 h 9 min)
- Malmö – 638 kilometers (7 h 5 min)
- Linköping – 227 kilometers (2 h 58 min)
- Kiruna – 1177 kilometers (13 h 52 min)
Find out more about other destinations in Sweden by visiting our page Exploring Sweden