Vittinge Kyrkby is the church village of the former Vittinge Parish and the settlement that has developed around the church. It is a few kilometers away from the locality of Vittinge, an urban area that is much more recent. The area is today a part of Heby Municipality in Uppsala County.
A Short History of Vittinge Kyrkby
Vittinge Parish has its origins in the Middle Ages and the first known mentioning of the parish dates back to 1314. It is believed that the church was built in Vittinge Kyrkby in the early years of the 14th century.
A new urban area started to develop at the end of the 19th century around the new railway. It took the name of the former parish and its name became Vittinge, while the church settlement continued to be a small village. In 1971, the village, the locality, as well as the whole parish, became a part of the Heby Municipality.
Things to Do and See
Farms and fields surround the church and the village of Vittinge Kyrkby. Here are the roads are small and there is a strong countryside atmosphere.
The church is at the center of the village and the most prominent buildings for several kilometers. It is believed to have been built at the beginning of the 14th century, but its exterior, as well as the interior, has been changed many times since.
How to Get to Vittinge Kyrkby
- Flights: The closest airport is Stockholm Västerås Airport (VST), 58 kilometers away, which has mostly low-cost carriers. In addition, there is Stockholm-Arlanda Airport (ARN), 77 kilometers away with both domestic and international flights.
- Car: Vittinge Kyrkby is close to road 72 between Heby and Uppsala.
- Bus: Local and regional UL buses stop in nearby Vittinge and connects the area with the surrounding region.
- Train: There are train stations in both Morgongåva and Uppsala.
The driving distance from 5 major Swedish cities, according to Google Maps:
- Stockholm – 104 kilometers (1 h 18 min)
- Gothenburg – 449 kilometers (5 h 26 min)
- Malmö – 662 kilometers (7 h 22 min)
- Linköping – 235 kilometers (3 h 2 min)
- Kiruna – 1169 kilometers (13 h 43 min)
Find out more about other destinations in Sweden by visiting our page Exploring Sweden