Tolfta is a small village and the center for the former Tolfta Parish in the province of Uppland. It is also known under the name Ersta. Tolfta is today a part of Tierp Municipality in Uppsala County and has a population of around 100 inhabitants.
A Short History of Tolfta
The village was first mentioned in the 1540s, but the parish is known to have its origins in the Middle Ages. The church was built here in the 14th century, but there are remains of even older settlements in its vicinity. Tolfta Congregation and Tolfa Municipality replaced Tolfta Parish in 1862. The municipality remained independent until 1952 when it became a part of Tierp Municipality.
Things to Do and See
The main sight and the most prominent building here is the church. This is, however, the countryside and there are more than just buildings to enjoy. Nature is never far away and the large fields offer an unobstructed view of the landscape. In case you visit the area, you can expect peace and quiet.
The church stands at the center of the parish and dates back to the 14th century. It is a stone church that has seen several reconstructions over the centuries. A fire severely damaged the church in 1802, temporarily leaving the church without a roof. A short distance from the church is a separate clock tower.
Ersta Nature Reserve
Ersta Nature Reserve was established in 2005 and covers an area of 47 hectares. It mostly covers an area containing older forests and rich biodiversity. Its location is to the northwest of the church.
How to Get to Tolfta
- Flights: The closest major airport is Stockholm-Arlanda Airport, 94 kilometers away with both domestic and international flights.
- Car: Tolfta is close to the E4, between Uppsala and Gävle.
- Bus: Local and regional UL buses connect Tolfta with the surrounding region.
- Train: SJ and Upptåget have train connections to and from nearby Tierp.
The driving distance from 5 major Swedish cities, according to Google Maps:
- Stockholm – 131 kilometers (1 h 24 min)
- Gothenburg – 527 kilometers (6 h 8 min)
- Malmö – 739 kilometers (7 h 51 min)
- Linköping – 326 kilometers (3 h 26 min)
- Kiruna – 1116 kilometers (12 h 51 min)
Find out more about other destinations in Sweden by visiting our page Exploring Sweden