It is such a luxury to have the chance to make berry pie with hand-picked blueberries from the Nordic forests. Here in Sweden (and also in Finland), allemansrätten (the freedom to roam) dictates that everyone has the right to enjoy the nature, including the right to pick berries and mushrooms in the woods.
Berry pie is a Nordic delicacy and it always plays an important part in summer parties and get-togethers. Yesterday I decided to treat my colleagues to pie made of blueberries and raspberries. This is my attempt to keep them (and myself) happy! In order to freshen life up a bit, I decided to made it tangier and more exotic than usual. Lime and coconut were my partners in crime in this case.
Tangy Berry Pie With Coconut: Ingredients
There are several ways to make a berry pie. In my opinion berries with oatmeal crumb is by far the easiest and quickest way. You can use any berries you like, I found blueberries and raspberries in the freezer, so that’s what I put into my berry pie. This one pie served 8 people. It is very satisfying as well, one small piece is more than enough!
For the crumb you need the following ingredients:
- 3 dl (aproximately 1.3 cups) oatmeal
- 6 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 dl (aproximately 0.4. cups) cold coconut oil
- Lime juice
- Coconut flakes
I can’t give any exact quantities for the last three ingredients, as the amount really depends on the taste you’re aiming for. I used quite a small amount of honey and coconut, as I was looking for a more tangy taste, instead of sweet.
For the pie filling you need the following:
- Frozen blueberries
- Frozen raspberries
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- Lime juice
Tangy Berry Pie With Coconut: Preparation
One of the great advantages of this pie is that it’s so very simple and quick. Here are the directions for how to make it.
Step 1: The Crumb
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (392°F)
- In a bowl, mix the oatmeal and the coconut oil with your fingers
- Carefully add the almond flour
- Add the lime juice and the coconut flakes
- Sprinkle some honey onto the mix
Step 2: The Filling
- Mix frozen berries in a bowl
- Add the potato starch and stir gently
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and (if you are fond of sweet) some additional honey
- Pour your mix into a baking dish
Step 3: The Final Touches
- After you have put the berries into the baking dish, spread the crumb topping on top of the berries
- Put the dish into the oven, let it bake for approximately 25-30 minutes
- You know your berry pie is ready when it’s golden brown
- Serve either warm or cold
- This pie can be served with whipped cream, custard or ice-cream. We opted for coconut cream!
I think everyone who tasted this pie was happy. Almond flour and coconut oil are great replacements for “normal” flour and butter, I like to think it’s healthier as well. The good thing about baking a pie without the crust is that it tastes a lot fresher and there is more space for the berries.
Inspired by berries, I found this cheerful quote about the small things in life.