Hubbo is a small church village in the province of Västmanland, just north of Västerås. It was once the center of the local parish. Had the parish still existed today, it would have includeded the localities of Tillberga and Hökåsen together with a population of around 5.000 inhabitants. The church village itself is, however, small. The population is restricted to a few in the surrounding farmsteads. Hubbo is today a part of Västerås Municipality in Västmanland County.
A Short History of Hubbo
The Hubbo Parish has its origins in the Middle Ages. Its area also covered what is today the localities of Tillberga and Hökåsen. At its center was Hubbo Church dating back to the 14th century. Next to the church, a clergy house was built in the 18th century.
Things to Do and See
The church is the most prominent and most likely only sight that will attract visitors to make a stop in the small church village. Any stop does, however, also offer a view of the fields. This is after all the Swedish countryside. Not everything needs to be human-made.
The church with its long history is the main sight for anyone making a stop here. It has been renovated and changed many times during the centuries, but the size is believed to have stayed the same. The most radical internal changes took place at the end of the 19th century.
How to Get to Hubbo
- Flights: The closest airport is Stockholm Västerås Airport (VST), 11 kilometers away, which has mostly low-cost carriers. In addition, there is Stockholm-Arlanda Airport (ARN), 107 kilometers away with both domestic and international flights.
- Car: Hubbo is next to a small country road north of Västerås.
- Bus: Stops for local and regional buses from VL are on the nearby road Tillbergavägen, these connect Hubbo with the surrounding region.
- Train: The closest train station is in Västerås.
The driving distance from 5 major Swedish cities, according to Google Maps:
- Stockholm – 108 kilometers (1 h 14 min)
- Gothenburg – 386 kilometers (4 h 38 min)
- Malmö – 608 kilometers (6 h 29 min)
- Linköping – 195 kilometers (2 h 30 min)
- Kiruna – 1201 kilometers (13 h 44 min)