For many Jävre is only a sign along the highway between Skellefteå and Piteå. However, it is actually worth a stop. One should at least enjoy its main sight, the harbour area. You might learn a thing or two at the same time, or at least get a great view from the lighthouse. Jävre is a small locality with around 600 inhabitants. It has a long history right at the border between the provinces of Norrbotten and Västerbotten.
A Short History
Jävre dates back to at least the Middle Ages when sources mention a small village at the location. The village should have consisted of 12 homes in the beginning of the 18th century, out of which there was at least on inn and a shuttle exchange. Degerfors bruk was producing wrought iron and timber in the village during the 19th century. There are still some remains left.
Things to do and see in Jävre
Several of the main sights of Jävre are at the rest area along the highway. However, there is more to this place than what you see if you just drive by.
Skags Fyr is a lighthouse located in the harbour area in Jävre. It is one of the oldest lighthouses in Sweden and it was in use outside of Örnsköldsvik between 1871 and 1957. After a few years in storage, the lighthouse was rebuilt in Jävre in 1971.
Jävre Harbour Area
The harbour area of Jävre does not only have the lighthouse Skags Fyr. Here you also find a harbour for smaller boats, boathouses converted to smaller businesses such as a restaurant, and a small caravan camping. Located right next to the highway E4, the harbour area acts as a rest area for travellers. Right across the road from the harbour area is a grocery store, a gas station as well as the tourist information centre for Norrbotten.
The Archaeological Path / Arkeologstigen
Signs of human activity around Jävre dates back 5000 years and parts of these remains are visible along the Archaeological Path. It is known as Arkeologstigen in Swedish. It passes by burial mounds, the northern-most grave field in Sweden, as well as remains from the Bronze Age and forward.
How to get to Jävre
- Flights: Skellefteå Airport (SFT) is located 78 kilometers south from the locality and Luleå Airport (LLA) is located 72 kilometers to the north, both of them connects the area with the Stockholm-Arlanda Airport (ARN) for connections around the globe.
- Car: Jävre is located along the highway E4 between Skellefteå and Piteå.
- Train: Northbound trains from Stockholm stops in Älvsbyn. From there it is possible to take local buses to Piteå and then to Jävre.
- Bus: There are local buses from Piteå.
The driving distance from 5 major Swedish cities, according to Google Maps:
- Stockholm – 832 kilometers (8 h 57 min)
- Gothenburg – 1179 kilometers (13 h 28 min)
- Malmö – 1439 kilometers (15 h 36 min)
- Linköping – 1027 kilometers (11 h 22 min)
- Kiruna – 408 kilometers (4 h 27 min)
Find out more about other destinations in Sweden by visiting our page Exploring Sweden