Norrfällsviken is a small picturesque fishing village, with only a handful of inhabitants. It is, however, a popular stop for visits during the summer as it’s one of the more well-known fishing villages along the High Coast, the UNESCO World Heritage Site.
A Short History of Norrfällsviken
The fishing village dates back to at least the 16th century when it was used for seasonal fishing. Most fishermen probably came from Gävle, as they had a privilege to fish along a big part of Norrland’s coast. The fishermen sailed north in May in smaller ships for goods. The family went along on the trip, including the domestic workers. The sons and workers engaged in fishing, while the man of the family used the ship for transports along the Baltic coast. The family was picked up again in September or October to head back home.
Things to do and see in Norrfällsviken
The small fishing village with its boathouses, narrow paths and fishing memorabilia is not all that there is to see. Norrfällsviken has grown into a summer destination, with a camping, golf course, and many other activities.
It is, however, the view and relaxing atmosphere that would probably convince you to visit. Nature is always close by and so is the sea. Norrfällsviken Nature Reserve is located right next to the small fishing village.
How to get to Norrfällsviken
- Flights: Höga Kusten Airport (KRF) is located 58 kilometers west and Örnsköldsvik Airport (OER) is located 97 kilometers north of Norrfällsviken and connects the area with the Stockholm-Arlanda Airport (ARN) for connections around the globe.
- Car: Norrfällsviken is located a few kilometers towards the coast from the highway E4 between Härnösand and Örnsköldsvik.
- Train: Closest train stations are in Härnösand and Örnsköldsvik.
- Bus: Several long-distance bus routes along the Swedish northern coast stops nearby, especially in Ullånger, from where local busses are available.
The driving distance from 5 major Swedish cities, according to Google Maps:
- Stockholm – 495 kilometers (5 h 7 min)
- Gothenburg – 848 kilometers (9 h 18 min)
- Malmö – 1103 kilometers (10 h 44 min)
- Linköping – 690 kilometers (7 h 9 min)
- Kiruna – 783 kilometers (8 h 46 min)
Find out more about other destinations in Sweden by visiting our page Exploring Sweden