For many, the 125 kilometers along E45 between Orsa and Sveg are just forests. There is very little to see while driving and finding somewhere to stop might be a challenge. For some Noppikoski is the oasis in this forestry desert. The small village, which has approximately 1 human inhabitant, is located almost right in the middle between Orsa and Sveg.
This is a possible rest stop for many and it is the location of the only gas station along this stretch of road. The gas station is accompanied by the local inn.
A Short History
Noppikoski is located in what is known as Finnskogen, the forest of the Finns. During the 18th century, Finland was still a part of the Kingdom of Sweden. At that time, the Finns migrated from the Finnish part of Sweden and settled the inland of Sweden Proper. The small village today bears the Finnish name for the nearby waterfall.
During the 18th century, the number of people working in the forests around Noppikoski was estimated to be 6000-8000 men and around 2000 horses. Those numbers have decreased drastically during the last century.
Things to Do and See
When stopping in Noppikoski there are still a few things to enjoy. Outdoor activities such as fishing and hiking are a possibility. There is one main sight, the waterfall Noppikoskifallet.
The Noppikoski Waterfall
Also known as Noppikoskiforsen. The Ore river floats by Noppikoski and just a short walk from the gas station you find the Noppikoski Waterfall. These falls were known for causing problems for the loggers who were floating their timber along the river.
How to get to Noppikoski
- Flights: The closest airports are Härjedalen Sveg Airport (EVG) located 80 km away and Mora–Siljan Airport located 70 kilometers away. They both connect the area with the Stockholm-Arlanda Airport (ARN) for connections around the globe.
- Car: Noppikoski is located along the E45 between Sveg and Orsa.
- Bus: There are regional buses connecting Noppikoski with the surrounding area.
The driving distance from 5 major Swedish cities, according to Google Maps:
- Stockholm – 373 kilometers (4 h 16 min)
- Gothenburg – 538 kilometers (6 h 42 min)
- Malmö – 756 kilometers (8 h 46 min)
- Linköping – 439 kilometers (5 h 41 min)
- Kiruna – 1053 kilometers (12 h 48 min)
Find out more about other destinations in Sweden by visiting our page Exploring Sweden