Högkullen is the highest point of the table mountain Kinnekulle, one of the most famous table mountains within the region of Skaraborg. Its many viewpoints give visitors a possibility to see miles into the distance over the large plains to the east as well as out over lake Vänern to the west.
A Short History of Högkullen
Kinnekulle has for a long time been considered the holy mountain of Västergötland. Högkullen was for a long time home to two farmsteads known as Lille Salen and Stora Salen. Even though the farmsteads no longer exist, their names live on.
The small place has not avoided disaster. Högkullen at Kinnekulle was in 1944 the crash site of the British Lodestar airplane traveling from Bromma Airport in Stockholm to Leuchars in Scottland. 11 of the 15 Norwegians on board died in the crash.
Things to Do and See in Högkullen
There are a few smaller man-made objects around Högkullen that could be interesting for visitors. Other than that the main attractions are nature and the views. It is these two that make any visit memorable.
Kinnekullegården is mainly a restaurant close to the peak of Kinnekulle. It is, however, also a great spot from where to explore the area. Several hiking trails connect here and many of the main sights are within easy reach. The hiking trails are Toppslingan (1.9 km), Hjortslingan (3.3 km), and Älgslingan (4.7 km). There is also the much longer Kinnekulleleden, the Kinnekulle Path, that covers a distance of 45 kilometers across most of the mountain.
The Observation Tower
The observation tower stands at the summit of the mountain, just a short hike from the parking lots at Kinnekullegården. The tower was built in 1892 and reaches a height of 19 meters. If you are lucky you will be able to see far out over lake Vänern.
Close to the observation tower is a memorial of the 11 men who died here in 1944 when their Lodestar aircraft crashed on its way to Scotland.
Also close to the observation tower is Kungstenarna, or the Stones of the kings. These are stones in which royals have engraved their names through the years.
How to get to Högkullen
- Flights: The closest larger airport is Göteborg Landvetter Airport (GOT) 141 kilometres away, with both domestic and international flights.
- Car: Högkullen is located along country roads outside of Götene.
- Train: The closest train stations are Trolmen and Hällekis with Västtågen having trains between Herrljunga and Mariestad.
- Bus: Local buses with stops in the area connects Högkullen with the surrounding region.
The driving distance from 5 major Swedish cities, according to Google Maps:
- Stockholm – 344 kilometers (4h 1min)
- Gothenburg – 147 kilometers (2h 4min)
- Malmö – 414 kilometers (4h 36min)
- Linköping – 206 kilometers (2h 43min)
- Kiruna – 1443 kilometers (16h 56min)
Find out more about other destinations in Sweden by visiting our page Exploring Sweden