Gryt, or Gryts Kyrkby, is a small settlement in the historical province of Södermanland. This small settlement around the old parish church has only a handful of inhabitants. This is today a part of Gnesta Municipality in Södermanland County.
A Short History of Gryt
Gryt Parish has its origins in the Middle Ages. Back in the day, it covered an area that today houses around 1.000 inhabitants. However, very few of these people live in the settlement around the church. The parish church was built as early as the 12th century and still stands at the center of the settlement.
The parish existed until 1862 when the municipal reforms split it between the local government of Gryt Municipality and the church congregation. Gryt Municipality was 1952 incorporated into Daga Municipality, which in turn was incorporated into Nyköping Municipality in 1974. Nyköping Municipality was later split up and the area became a part of Gnesta Municipality in 1992. The congregation is since 2006 a part of Daga Congregation.
Things to Do and See
Since it is in the countryside, Gryt has a lot to offer when it comes to fields, forests, and lakes. The church is the most prominent building, but people are also attracted to the area by the local heritage and the possibility of playing golf.
Gryt Church dates back to the 12th century. It was once the center of the local parish. The church has seen several reconstructions over the centuries and acquired its current shape in 1778. The church is today a part of Daga Congregation within the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Sweden.
Gryts Hembygdsgård, the local heritage organization, is a bit south of the church at Pettersberg. The organization was founded in 1938 and today owns several buildings around Pettersberg, making up something similar to an open-air museum. Pettersberg itself dates back to the 18th century.
The manor of Grytberg, or Grytbergs Säteri in Swedish, is located between the church and Lake Kyrksjön. Its history goes back to the Middle Ages and the number of owners is countless. The Brandberg family acquired the manor in 2016. They have the golf course of Solbacka right at their borders.
Lake Kyrksjön is to the west of Gryt and includes the beach at Dammhagen a bit south along its shores. At Dammhagen there is also a soccer field and a small stage. Fishing in Lake Kyrksjön is limited to the landowners around the lake.
How to Get to Gryt
- Flights: The closest airport is Stockholm Skavsta Airport, only 56 kilometers to the south. From here there are a few international flights to other cities in Europe. Sweden’s main international airport, Stockholm Arlanda Airport, is 123 kilometers away.
- Car: Gryt is along countryside roads a bit north of Stjärnhov.
- Bus: Bus 589 from Sörmlandstrafiken stops in nearby Stjärnhov on its route between Flen and Gnesta.
- Train: No trains stop here even though the railway passes through the area. Instead, the closest train station is in nearby Flen.
The driving distance from 5 major Swedish cities, according to Google Maps:
- Stockholm – 87 kilometers (1 h 14 min)
- Gothenburg – 412 kilometers (4 h 57 min)
- Malmö – 555 kilometers (6 h 25 min)
- Linköping – 143 kilometers (1 h 48 min)
- Kiruna – 1289 kilometers (15 h 36 min)