Next to Lake Södra Teden is the village of Björsäter. This is the countryside of the province of Östergötland and has a population of around 390 inhabitants. This was once the center for the local parish but is nowadays a part of Åtvidaberg Municipality.
A Short History of Björsäter
Björsäter Parish had its origins in the Middle Ages. Its first wooden church was built here in the 12th century but was replaced in the year 1800 with the current stone church.
The parish existed up until the Swedish municipal reforms of 1862 when it was split between the local government of Björsäter Municipality and the church congregation. The municipality was in 1974 incorporated into Åtvidaberg Municipality and the church congregation is since 2010 a part of Åtvid Congregation.
Things to Do and See
Björsäter is a small village, but there is still a small grocery store to be found here. This is the countryside of Östergötland, with plenty of farmland, small forests, and lakes in its vicinity. So for anyone looking to get away from city life, then this might be considered an oasis that still has access to necessary supplies.
Björsäters Church was inaugurated in the year 1800 and replaced a former wooden church that had been located a bit to the south. The church is a part of Åtvid Congregation within the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Sweden.
Nostalgikvarnen, or the Nostalgia Mill if translated to English is a shop focused on antiques, retro, and other nostalgia. It is located in the old mill from 1934, a building that in itself can compete with the church of being the most prominent in the village.
A few kilometers to the southeast of Björsäter is Lake Risten. This is where the local beach Byrumsbadet can be found, a small beach with the most essential amenities.
How to Get to Björsäter
- Flights: The closest airport is Linköping Airport (LPI) located 31 kilometers away.
- Car: Björsäter is located along countryside roads east of Linköping.
- Bus: Buses from Östgötatrafiken connects Björsäter with the surrounding region.
- Train: The closest train station can be found in nearby Linghem.
The driving distance from 5 major Swedish cities, according to Google Maps:
- Stockholm – 201 kilometers (2 h 15 min)
- Gothenburg – 308 kilometers (3 h 22 min)
- Malmö – 452 kilometers (4 h 43 min)
- Linköping – 32 kilometers (33 min)
- Kiruna – 1432 kilometers (16 h 53 min)