Our journey eventually started to reach its end and it was time for us to leave Plettenburg Bay and drive to the east. Fortunately we still had two more days before it was time for us to start the trip back home to Sweden. It was the 15th day of traveling since leaving Sweden and the destination for the day’s drive was the city of Port Elizabeth on the coast. We did have a few stops in mind for the day, the first of which was the bird sanctuary Birds of Eden.
This post is more about the photos taken during our short stop at Birds of Eden. The Sanctuary is located just a short drive from Plettenberg Bay and it didn’t take us long before we saw the entrance of both Birds of Eden as well as its neighbor Monkeyland.
Birds of Eden
The Birds of Eden is a bird sanctuary in South Africa. It belongs to South African Animal Sanctuary Alliance (SAASA), the same group as the sanctuaries Monkeyland and Jukani belong to. Monkeyland is concentrated on monkeys and primates and Jukani have the large cats and other mammals.
What we really enjoyed with Birds of Eden was the possibility to really see some of the amazing birds that can be found in South Africa and elsewhere. This far we had only seen an eagle or two as well as adorable penguins. Within the aviary there is a pathway from where we could admire the colorful birds flying all around us. We spotted parrots, flamingos, and many other species. Our favorite was probably the funny-yet-very-green Knysna lourie (Tauraco corythaix). The aviary makes a nice stop both for adults and children.
Other Posts in the Series
This post belongs to a series about our trip to South Africa and Namibia. Read the previous parts by clicking on the links below:
- Part I: Doha, Qatar >>
- Part II: Johannesburg, South Africa >>
- Part III: Traveling To Namibia >>
- Part IV: Otjiwarongo, Namibia >>
- Part V: Cheetah Conservation Fund, Namibia >>
- Part VI: Etosha National Park, Namibia >>
- Part VII: Omaruru, Namibia >>
- Part VIII: Okahandja, Namibia >>
- Part IX: Windhoek, Namibia >>
- Part X: Cape Town, South Africa >>
- Part XI: Castle of Good Hope, South Africa >>
- Part XII: Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden, South Africa >>
- Part XIII: Two Oceans Aquarium, South Africa >>
- Part XIV: Mariner’s Wharf, South Africa >>
- Part XV: Groot Constantia, South Africa >>
- Part XVI: Boulders Beach, South Africa >>
- Part XVII: Cape Point, South Africa >>
- Part XVIII: Chapman’s Peak Drive, South Africa >>
- Part XIX: Table Mountain, South Africa >>
- Part XX: Swellendam, South Africa >>
- Part XXI: Plettenberg Bay, South Africa >>