The locality of Mellerud is in the province of Dalsland but is today a part of Västra Götaland County. With a population of around 4.000 inhabitants, it is one of the few population centers in the province.
A Short History of Mellerud
The first known mentioning of Mellerud dates back to the first half of the 16th century. About a century later the first courthouse in the town was built and the Swedish king Karl XI visited the town in 1680 and 1691. His successor, Karl XII, also visited in 1718.
The railway to Norway opened in 1879 with a station here. It was later joined with Bergslagsbanen towards Karlstad, making Mellerud an important junction between the two lines.
Mellerud became a market town in 1908 and the production in the town mainly consisted of clogs, a production that was active from 1909 to 1975. Many of the shoes were exported and known under the brand Dalbo Toffeln. Today the largest employer is Emballator Mellerud Plast, producing plastic goods such as water bottles.
Things to Do and See
With the main tourist attraction of Dalsland only a short drive away in Håverud, there is of course the question about what to discover in Mellerud for the visitors who decide to make a stop here.
Mellerud Museum is the local heritage museum, telling the story about the area’s history and the people that lived here. The museum is housed in the courthouse that was built in 1909. It is also a hub for anyone researching their heritage with an archive with information from all corners of the province of Dalsland.
The station and railway in Mellerud opened in 1879. This brick building is today one of the more prominent in the town and also what greets many of the visitors.
Just a short distance to the east from the center is the largest lake in Sweden, Vänern. Here you will find the sandy beaches of Vita Sandar and the marina of Sunnanå.
Centrumsalongen is the old cinema close to the center that still shows old and new films. It is run by the local football club Melleryds IF. This cinema has its origins in the 1930s and has seats for around 200 people.
How to Get to Mellerud
- Flights: There are domestic and international routes to and from Göteborg Landvetter Airport (GOT), which is 152 kilometers away. Other options for mostly domestic flights are Karlstad Airport (KSD), 125 kilometers away, and Trollhättan–Vänersborg Airport (THN), 55 kilometers away.
- Car: Mellerud is along the E45 between Vänersborg and Åmål.
- Bus: Local and regional buses from Västtrafik connect Mellerud with the surrounding region.
- Train: SJ and Västtågen has trains to and from Bengtsfors, Gothenburg, Karlstad, Säffle, and Trollhättan.
The driving distance from 5 major Swedish cities, according to Google Maps:
- Stockholm – 457 kilometers (4h 52min)
- Gothenburg – 130 kilometers (1h 38min)
- Malmö – 403 kilometers (4h 14min)
- Linköping – 330 kilometers (3h 51min)
- Kiruna – 1496 kilometers (17h 20min)
Find out more about other destinations in Sweden by visiting our page Exploring Sweden