Farstanäs is a nature area and camping ground along the coast of Södermanland. It lies in Södertälje Municipality in Stockholm County, at the shores of the fjord Järnafjärden. This is a part of the waterway that connects the city of Södertälje with the Baltic Sea. Here you will find the camping ground, a nature reserve and a long sandy beach to mention some.
A Short History of Farstanäs
This coastal area was acquired by Södertälje Municipality in the 1960’s and a nature reserve was established to protect the area and to make it accessible to the public for recreational activities. One step for this was the opening of the camping ground in the 1970’s. The camping have been operated on lease for up until 2021 when the municipality decided to run the operations themselves and re-develop the area.
Things to Do and See
Well, the camping ground might not be the most scenic sight, that is for sure. The long sandy beach might compensate for some of that while the surrounding nature might be the biggest attraction for everyone not looking forward to swimming.
Farstanäs Camping och Havsbad
The fairly large camping ground was once home to a lot of summer visitors that returned year after year. It is, however, in a period of change. Either way, this is where you find the long sandy beach. The beach is approximately 350 meters long and have space for activities such as beach volleyball.
Farstanäs Nature Reserve
Farstanäs Nature Reserve was established in 1967 and covers an area of 321 hectares. The area includes the camping ground and the beach, but also a large nature area both along the coast but also inland. Here you will find several paths to explore, but also cliffs from where it is possible to view the ships heading to and from Södertälje or Lake Mälaren.
Kustleden is a hiking path in Södertälje Municipality that was established in 2019. It covers a distance of 12 kilometers along the coast and passes through the two nature reserves of Farstastrand and Yttereneby.
How to Get to Farstanäs
- Flights: The nearest airport is Stockholm Skavsta Airport (NYO) 63 kilometers to the southwest. Sweden’s largest airport, Stockholm Arlanda (ARN), is 85 kilometers to the north.
- Car: Farstanäs is along countryside roads south of Södertälje.
- Bus: Buses from SL connect Farstanäs with the surrounding area with a bus stop a few kilometers away.
- Train: There is a train station in nearby Järna.
The driving distance from 5 major Swedish cities, according to Google Maps:
- Stockholm – 48 kilometers (40 min)
- Gothenburg – 426 kilometers (4 h 10 min)
- Malmö – 570 kilometers (5 h 40 min)
- Linköping – 157 kilometers (1 h 40 min)
- Kiruna – 1278 kilometers (13 h 30 min)