Benala was also the home of my ancestor Olof Johan Erlandsson (1854-1933) during his last years in life.
A Short History of Benala
We have so far been unable to find any bigger events in the history of Benala. The village existed already at the beginning of the 18th century and was included in the first available church records. It was over the centuries a part of Sparrsätra Parish and later municipality. In 1971, it was integrated into Enköping Municipality. The number of inhabitants was in the 30s in the 1940s and remains around those numbers until today.
For anyone looking for more than the countryside air, the town of Enköping is just a short drive to the south.
Things to Do and See
Walking along the main road through the village will in itself offer a sight of several old and traditional barns and farm buildings as well as the surrounding fields. The church stands on the other side of the fields.
How to Get to Benala
- Flights: The closest airport is Stockholm Västerås Airport (VST), 29 kilometers away, which has mostly low-cost carriers. In addition, there is Stockholm-Arlanda Airport (ARN), 81 kilometers away with both domestic and international flights.
- Car: Benala is along road 70 between Enköping and Sala.
- Bus: Local and regional buses from UL are available at nearby Lådö and connect Benala with the surrounding region.
- Train: The closest train station is in nearby Enköping to where there are trains between Gothenburg and Stockholm.
The driving distance from 5 major Swedish cities, according to Google Maps:
- Stockholm – 82 kilometers (58min)
- Gothenburg – 418 kilometers (4h 34min)
- Malmö – 640 kilometers (6h 37min)
- Linköping – 208 kilometers (2h 38min)
- Kiruna – 1190 kilometers (13h 19min)
Find out more about other destinations in Sweden by visiting our page Exploring Sweden