Åmot is a locality in southern Norway and the seat of Vinje Municipality within Vestfold og Telemark County. It is the location for many services as well as the commercial center for the surrounding countryside. Around 670 people live here out of the around 3.700 inhabitants of the municipality.
As an intersection between several roads and with Road E134 going through the locality, this is a natural resting spot for many travelers where it is possible to find many amenities and where it is possible to refuel both the vehicle and the travelers themself.
A Short History of Åmot
Åmot is a settlement that has grown at the intersection of some of the more important roads that go through the area. There is Road E134 that goes from Haugesund in western Norway to Vassum where it connects with Road E6 south of Oslo. There is also Road 37 to the north and then westward until it reaches Kongsberg and Road 38 south to Dalen and onward to Kragerø.
In addition to local services, other industries have gathered in Åmot and the surrounding area. These include tourism as well as forestry and smaller industrial manufacturing.
Things to Do and See
Just a bit north is the lake Hyllandshylen with its small waterfall Hyllandsfossen, this is just one of many sights in the surrounding nature. You will find plenty of forests in the vicinity of Åmot and the mountains of Telemark are never far away.
Ormetjønn is the nearby lake around which there is a hiking trail – the Ormetjønn Rundløype. The trail is also used for cross-country skiing during the winter. At the shores of Lake Ormetjønn, you will find a small beach with an adjacent playground.
Hyllandsfossen is a waterfall where water flows from Lake Hyllandshylen towards the river Galthyl. This is actually not one huge waterfall, but several small ones over a distance of almost 600 meters. The total drop is eventually 76 meters.
How to Get to Åmot
- Flights: The closest airport is probably Notodden Airport (NTB) 97 kilometers to the east, but it is unclear if there are any routes from that airport. Otherwise, Oslo Airport (OSL) is 258 kilometers to the east and Bergen Airport (BGO) is 268 kilometers to the west. They both offer both domestic and international flights.
- Car: Åmot is located along Road E134 between Haukeli and Seljord.
The driving distance from 5 major Norwegian cities, according to Google Maps:
- Oslo – 211 kilometers (3 h 7 min)
- Bergen – 270 kilometers (4 h 56 min)
- Trondheim – 702 kilometers (9 h 37 min)
- Narvik – 1596 kilometers (22 h 51 min)
- Kirkenes – 2045 kilometers (27 h)
Find out more about other destinations in Norway by visiting our page Exploring Norway