Litsjöforsen is a waterfall and a rapid along the river Kultsjöån in the municipality of Vilhelmina in Västerbotten County. This is an area in the southernmost parts of the province of Lappland in northern Sweden. It lies along the well-known tourist road Vildmarksvägen, the Swedish Wilderness Road. During spring and early summer when the snow in the mountains is melting this river and its rapids increase in intensity and offer several majestic sights
Things to Do and See
There larger parking lot right next to the rapids. This makes Litsjöforsen one of the easiest of the waterfalls and rapids along the Wilderness Road to access. From the parking lot, it is just a few steps before you stand on the cliffs right next to the river. On the other side is a smaller waterfall and the rapids are impossible to miss. The most impressive with these rapids is the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere. It is just the number of fellow tourists that provides a sign of nearby civilization.
How to Get to Litsjöforsen
- Flights: The nearest airports are Vilhelmina Airport (VHM) and Åre Östersund Airport (OSD)
- Car: Litsjöforsen is located along the Vildmarksvägen, the Wilderness Road. These are rural roads to the west of Vilhelmina, towards the border with Norway.
The driving distance from 5 major Swedish cities, according to Google Maps:
- Stockholm – 736 kilometers (8 h 40 min)
- Gothenburg – 1081 kilometers (12 h 40 min)
- Malmö – 1344 kilometers (14 h 40 min)
- Linköping – 931 kilometers (10 h 40 min)
- Kiruna – 608 kilometers (7 h 40 min)