Södra Möckleby is a settlement in Mörbylånga Municipality on the southwestern part of Öland, the second largest island in Sweden. Today the makes up the eastern part of the locality of Degerhamn and it has developed around the parish church.
You should not mix up this locality with Norra Möckleby, which is in the eastern part of the island. Yes, there is a northern and southern Möckleby.
A Short History of Södra Möckleby
Södra Möckleby Parish had its origins in the Middle Ages. Its first known church was built in the 12th century and was replaced by the current church first in the mid-19th century. The Parish was the center of social and religious life until the Swedish Municipal Reform of 1862. This was when the parish’s responsibilities were split between the church congregation and the new civic government of Södra Möckleby Municipality. The small municipality survived up until 1952 when it became a part of Ottenby Municipality, which in turn became a part of Mörbylånga Municipality in 1971. The church congregation is since 2002 a part of the Sydöland Congregation, the congregation for southern Öland.
Things to Do and See
There are a few services and even a pizzeria here. At its center stands the church, but the church has the local public library as its neighbor.
Södra Möckleby Chuch
The parish church was inaugurated in 1851 when it replaced the former medieval church. The church is today one of the churches making up the Sydöland Congregation within the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Sweden.
How to Get to Södra Möckleby
- Flights: The nearest airport is Kalmar Öland Airport (KLR), whic is 53 kilometers to the northwest.
- Car: The locality is along Road 136 south of Mörbylånga.
- Bus: Buses from Kalmar Länstrafik connect Södra Möckleby with the surrounding area.
The driving distance from 5 major Swedish cities, according to Google Maps:
- Stockholm – 458 kilometers (5 h 20 min)
- Gothenburg – 386 kilometers (4 h 40 min)
- Malmö – 323 kilometers (4 h)
- Linköping – 282 kilometers (3 h 40 min)
- Kiruna – 1689 kilometers (18 h)