Finding a bus shelter with books and a piano? Well, that can probably get anyone to stop in astonishment. Ludgo Kvarn is a small settlement of a few homes and a former industrial building in what was once Ludgo Parish. This is today a part of Nyköpings Municipality in Södermanland County in the eastern part of Sweden. And it is not only the piano that makes this a weird place for a stop.
A Short History of Ludgo Kvarn
Ludgo Kvarn began as an old industrial building. This mill was originally built in 1932 and was rebuilt in 1947. A new mill was built in 1958 and the business Gylla Pepparkaksfabrik was established. This was a factory, or bakery if you wish, that manufactured cakes and other sweets. Gylla Pepparkaksfabrik was in operation until 1963 when its production moved to Nyköping. The coming decades saw other manufacturing businesses being established here.
Today there is no industrial production at the site. Instead, the current owner has turned it into specialized vacation accommodation.
Things to Do and See
The bus stop with its shelter is probably what will make most people stop here. At least if they read the information on its wall that there is a piano inside. Even the old industrial building has quite an artistic feeling, or at least playful with a mannequin of some kind standing at a balcony. In addition to the industrial history, there are a few one-family homes along the road.
How to Get to Ludgo Kvarn
- Flights: The closest airport is Stockholm Skavsta Airport (NYO) which is 28 kilometers to the southwest.
- Car: Ludgo Kvarn is on Road 223 between Björnlunda and Nyköping.
- Train: The nearest train stations are in Nyköping and Gnesta.
The driving distance from 5 major Swedish cities, according to Google Maps:
- Stockholm – 97 kilometers (1 h 9 min)
- Gothenburg – 391 kilometers (4 h 16 min)
- Malmö – 535 kilometers (5 h 39 min)
- Linköping – 124 kilometers (1 h 23 min)
- Kiruna – 1328 kilometers (14 h 32 min)