Mörbylånga Kyrkby is a small settlement in Mörbylånga Municipality on the island of Öland, the second largest island in Sweden. This is the settlement that has developed around the parish church, a settlement that today has been mostly engulfed in the locality of Mörbylånga.
A Short History of Mörbylånga Kyrkby
The Mörbylånga Parish had its origins in the Middle Ages. Its old medieval church was, however, replaced in the early 19th century. It was the parish that acted as the local government until the Swedish Municipal Reform of 1862. This was when its responsibilities were split between the church congregation and the new civic government of Mörbylånga Municipality. The municipality has since expanded, even though the market trown of Mörbylånga was separated for a while between 1881 and 1952. The church congregation is since 2002 a part of the Mörbylånga-Kastlösa Congregation.
Things to Do and See
Mörbylånga Kyrkby is in many ways the historical center of the area. Here you will find the chuch but also the other administrative buildings of the former parish. In addition, the center of the locality is just a short distance away and so are the shores towards Kalmar Strait.
The new parish church was completed and inaugurated in 1813 as it replaced the former medieval church as the seat of the parish. It is built of limestone and was designed by Johan Petersson and Axel Almfelt. The church is since 2002 a part of the Mörbylånga-Kastlösa Congregation within the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Sweden.
How to Get to Mörbylånga Kyrkby
- Flights: The nearest airport is Kalmar Öland Airport (KLR), which is 34 kilometers to the northwest.
- Car: Mörbylånga Kyrkby is along Road 136 to the south of Färjestaden.
- Bus: Buses from Kalmar Länstrafik connect Mörbylånga Kyrkby with the surrounding area.
The driving distance from 5 major Swedish cities, according to Google Maps:
- Stockholm – 438 kilometers (5 h)
- Gothenburg – 366 kilometers (4 h 20 min)
- Malmö – 303 kilometers (3 h 40 min)
- Linköping – 262 kilometers (3 h 20 min)
- Kiruna – 1669 kilometers (17 h 50 min)